ANA LEADERSHIP SUMMIT 2016
The Leadership Summit was held on November 29th to December 1st in Alexandria, Va. There were many leaders and executives that attended representing their state associations. VISNA was represented by Charlene White-Hewitt and Evet Rivera. Our current president Charlene Jones and Executive Director Joyce Heyliger were unable to attend the summit.
The professional development agenda was a day and a half which included the following objectives:
- Explore advance principles of leadership including working collaboratively, building strategic coalitions, making effective decisions, and communicating clearly in a fast paced world.
- Discuss best practices in the areas of non-profit governance and operations to include succession planning, financial oversight and member engagement.
- Build relationships and gain a broader perspective through structured and unstructured networking opportunities.
We participated in group exercises in Presidents/Executives had individual track sessions related to financial oversight, networking, leadership forums and engagement recruiting the next generation of volunteer leaders. Each evening after long day of sessions we had networking receptions.
On the last day the Leadership Council meeting was held and call for nominations from the floor for Leadership Council Executive Committee and elections was conducted.
Results from elections are as follows:
- Chair- Carol Stevens- Arizona
- Vice Chair- Cindy Zonierek – Texas
- Member at Large 2yr. term- Tina Gordon – North Carolina
- Member at Large 1yr. term-Kathleen Colleran-Santos – Massachusetts
The 2017-2020 Strategic Plan and goals were presented. The strategic plan outlines the vision, values, strategic goals, and strategic objectives that will allow ANA to be a true catalyst for transforming health care and advancing the nursing profession to improve health for all.
The goals include:
- To increase the number and engagement of nurses ANA
- To stimulate and disseminate innovation that increases recognition of the value of nursing and drives improvement in health and health care.
- Leverage the ANA Enterprise to position nurses as integral partners in consumers’ health and health care journeys.
The 2017 leadership summit will be held November 27-29th .
Report Prepared by:
Charlene M. White-Hewitt RN